Welcome to “My Corner to Vent II.” In case you are wondering, there was a first version. I decided to make it private. Yes, I am taking the sniveling coward approach. Feel free to mock and criticize me for this. How often do you see that in an opening post?
On that note, I would like to take a moment to confess my sins from the previous version.
- I engaged in ad hominem. I might have called a person or groups of people “idiots” or some variation. Maybe it was deserved… maybe it was not. Also, I have recently learned there is more to ad hominem than just name calling (guilt by association being a variation). For penance, I shall write “I am a jerk for calling people names” a hundred times.
- I attempted to post in an angry style and came off as a whiner. With the name I gave the blog, I figured it would be cool to stick ranting style of writing. Well, I figured wrong or I just was not able to pull it off successfully. My penance will be to have some cheese with that whine.
- I attempted humor and failed. Not only that, I engaged in making puns. There is a special place in Hell for me. There will be no penance for this as I fully intend to keep on doing it.
In conclusion, I have my reasons. One may or may not agree with those reasons. To a point, I felt like I was not being who I truly was. I feel like I cannot have a fresh start with that baggage hanging around. As a bonus, if I ever decide to run for public office, I will be well on my way to having skeletons in the closet for the media to dredge up. It is time to move on and put the past behind me.
This now raises an important question. What do I want to do with this blog? After all, blogs are so passé. It is all 160 characters or less now. I would truly be surprised if anyone has read this post up to this point. To answer that question, I will state that there are things that are in my mind and would like to express. Since my mind is so much more expansive than 160 characters, a blog is better suited for my style.
What should one expect from this blog? Like the previous incarnation of this blog, it is going to serve as my virtual soapbox. Things will mostly be of a political nature (see the about page for more information) but if I decide to share a video of a puppy dancing in a polka dot tu-tu, be prepared to watch that cute little fella. To wrap things up, allow me to share some of my goals.
- My posts will be as free from whiny rants as possible. I will warn the reader that sarcasm and cynicism will still be present. When it comes to human nature, I have noticed that cynicism seems to be highly accurate.
- My posts will be as entertaining as possible. I cannot promise anything here. I am a computer programmer. I thrive in a world of boring documentation and my writing has a tendency to let that creep in.
- My posts will be as based on logic as much as possible. Obviously, I did not think my previous goal was hard enough. Allow me to elaborate, I am going to attempt to not let my emotions and biases cloud my analysis to the best of my ability.
- My posts will be as free of logical fallacies as possible. From what I have observed, it seems to everything political is nothing but a long stream of logical fallacies. To quote Barney Stinson, “challenge accepted.”
- I will make an attempt to post at least once a week.
If you made it this far, you are a better person than I. Thanks for reading.