Where did the weekend go?

Did we just have a weekend? I can barely remember one.

Friday started with the teenager leaving to go camping with her Venture Scout crew. To say that my wife and I were nervous would have been an understatement. To understand our fears, I have to share some background. We have in the past attempted to send her on camps and other trips like this in the past. Most of the time, something happened to get her kicked out (or not invited back). She had even been kicked out of camps that specialize in special needs children.

Unfortunately, we cannot be “helicopter” parents forever and we do have to give her the chance to learn how to be independent. Thus, we allowed her to go. I had to pick her up from the campsite because due to scheduling conflicts there were not enough people to be able to bring her back (BSA has a rule that requires at least 2 adults have to be with the kids). I got to spend my Sunday morning navigating a twisting gravel road that ran through the Hoosier National Forest. It took an hour and a half to get there. A third of that time was the last 10 miles.

The good news was that she did not have any serious behavioral problems. Although, there were some issues with her equipment, in particular she did not take her uniform and wore flip-flops when they hiked to chapel. I call this a small victory for her.

The majority of my Saturday was spent in training with Big J’s cub scout pack. The rule is that at least one person has to be trained and I did the training to be helpful in that regard. I actually learned some new things that could be used for camping in general. I am contemplating doing the den leader training so that I could act as a substitute if one of the den leaders needs one. I think that I am slowing being assimilated…

After the training, I decided to take the boys to see Guardians of the Galaxy (quick review: not as good as the first). I made a mistake here. The theater that we went to was one that we do not normally go. Things were different there from the last time I was there. I bought the large popcorn and two large drink special and a medium drink for Little J. They had the freestyle machines to dispense drinks what I did not notice but the boys did was a slushy machine. Needless to say, by the end of the movie, I had two boys to deal with that were on sugar highs.

Sunday ended with my smoking a meatloaf on the grill and trying to wash as much of the RV as I could. I got too much help with the RV and I did not finish (though I don’t think I would have been able to begin). I might try to get that finished today.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: